Thursday, May 22, 2008

29 Student Evaluations

When I gave the students the opportunity to evaluate me, I said it was like asking inmates of the asylum to rate the doctors. In the beginning, I thought that this was a fair means to determine who best instructors were. If you are demanding of the students, your popularity will go down. Often these measuring tools are badly designed so that you do not get specific feedback on what was good or bad. Administrator claims they use these evaluations as just one more tool but they can be used as the excuse why they will not hire you back. I taught at one college where the students loved me and the next semester they hated me. I could never figure out why since I taught the same subject class. Too many of the students feel they are entitled to an A without doing the work and God help the instructor.

No comments: